We can identify and define positive thinking as a state of mind in which one expects good and favourable results from everything we do. If you study the lives of successful people you will find that they got where they are because they maintained a positive lifestyle and thought positively. A person who faces life with a positive attitude will be more successful professionally as well as personally.
Some of the simplest ways in which you can apply positivity in your life are :
- START POSITIVELY – Do you wake up late, rush to work and then try to catch up with things on your to do list ? If so, you might end up feeling that nothing good happened that day. How you start, sets the tone for the day, so make sure that you start your day with positive affirmations. Talk to yourself with statements like , “ I am going to have a good day “ and you will find that your day will improve. You can also start repeating a positive phrase like “ I deserve to do well “ and if you believe in this and keep repeating it, you will have a more positive outlook of your day and life in general.
- USE POSITIVE LANGUAGE – In all your communication use language that is positive and strong. Remember that if you say “ I cannot” you may end up convincing yourself that it is not possible. On the other hand if you say “ I can “ you will realize that it will be possible to do. This will have a positive impact on your career, your personal relationships and also your health. Fill your thinking with words that make you feel successful, strong and happy. Focus on these words and use them when communicating rather than words which may suggest failure, sadness or incompetence. By doing so you will lead a happier and more successful life.
- THINK OF SUCCESS – If you have any doubts, put them on one side and only think about being successful. Doing so will increase your self confidence, help you to put in extra efforts and support you to create a successful reality. By thinking that you will be successful, you will focus on the positive aspects of a situation and that will increase you level of resilience and help you to be successful in bouncing back from the bad times and being successful in the future.
- BELIEVE IN FAILURE AS OPPORTUNITY – No one is perfect, in fact we all tend to make mistakes. We may experience disappointments and failures in different aspects of our life, be it our jobs or with our family and friends etc. Instead of focusing on the failures, move forward and think of how you can deal with such situations next time. Treat your failure as a lesson and remember that the most negative things in life can give us good opportunities, that we may not have thought of otherwise eg. losing a job may turn out to be a good opportunity to start a successful business.
- WORK AT YOUR IMAGINATION – We start a new job or any other activity with good intentions and sometimes a plan but at times things do not happen as we want. This may be due to busyness, lack of ability, fear etc. so what can we do about it ? If we visualize what we want to achieve or become, it can be a great way to set a direction and help us achieve it. Visualization helps us to create a mental image of the goal we would like to achieve, and doing so we can see the direction we need to move in order to achieve it. We can use visualization as a method to improve our performance in all walks of our life.
- BE SURROUNDED WITH POSITIVE PEOPLE – Having positive friends, co-workers and family members will ensure that you will be surrounded with positive thoughts, outlooks and stories. This will help to impact your own line of thinking and actions. Positive words and thoughts will sink into your own subconscious, impact your own thoughts and dealings and also help to eliminate any negativity in your own life.
Surveys have reported that as people get older they are more satisfied with their lives, in spite of any losses that they may have collected over the years People tend to accept their limitations and use their experiences to set reasonable targets for the future.
You can however take advantage by adopting the above practices early in life as they will help you to sustain a positive attitude leading to greater impact on the quality of your life.