A very popular English proverb comes to mind. “When the going gets tough, the tough get going”. The meaning of this proverb should give us the ability and strength to deal with difficult situations. as it denotes that when a situation becomes difficult, strong people are able to step up and handle it. Remember that there are always possibilities and nothing lasts forever. It just takes courage and resolution to deal with tough times.
We all reach a point sometime in our lives when we feel that we have too much on our plate and may feel like giving up. This feeling could be related to different things. Work related stresses, our physical fitness or even just family pressures we are unable to fulfil. But it is important to remember that it is not the end of the world and sometimes these situations give us the opportunity to step back, take a deep breath and assess the current circumstances. No matter what the situation is, having the strength and courage to push yourself forward is not easy, but in order to overcome the situation and come up with a solution we need to take some steps forward.
There are many ways we can adopt which may help us to remain energetic and motivated to continue.
- REFLECT – It is very important to look around and reflect on where you are at present compared to when you started. The ability to reflect on one’s actions helps to take a critical look at oneself. To evaluate how far you have come, what you have achieved and what efforts are needed to put in for the future.
- MOVE FORWARD – Getting back on track is very important when one faces adverse situations. Most people find it difficult to do so as there may be slip-ups and even days when things are not moving forward but having the intention to move on helps us to be more determined and positive to come out of a bad situation. So try to make it a habit to always be positive and move forward.
- BE MOTIVATED – In order to succeed it is necessary to activate oneself. Sometimes it maybe difficult to identify how to do so but remember that all successful people know what stimulates them and use those tools to achieve what they want in life. Learn to question yourself and identify the steps you need to take towards achieving your goals. By doing so you will be motivated as you recognize your reasons to work hard.
- KEEP AT IT – In life, nothing comes easy. So when the going gets tough remind yourself of the reasons you accepted the challenge. Be determined, keep your grit and move forward with determination. Always remember that whenever things are at their worst, it is always your prime reason for doing what you are to reverse the situation. This is what will prevent you for moving away from your goal.
- TAKE SMALL STEPS – Most of us tend to stumble and fall because we take on and try to achieve too much at once. By taking on too much whether it is in terms of expectations, ambitious targets or even just unattainable expectations we end up not achieving our targets. To be achievable we can break them down to achievable steps or goals which will be more doable and ultimately get you to accomplish your ambitions.
- REMAIN MOTIVATED – Whenever we start a new job, project or even relationship we are excited, and our level of motivation is high. We are positive and expect the best of things to come about. But as times moves on our expectations may not be achieved and our impetus starts to decline. We also start to focus on the negatives of what is happening, and our motivation starts to decline. It is here that you need to keep up your enthusiasm and continue going forward.
SOME TIPS FOR BEING SUCCESSFUL
The question may arise in your mind as to how successful people keep going when the going gets tough ?
Remember that it is important to :
- Have a goal
- Do not give up
- Follow a regimen
- Use visualization techniques to be successful, and
- Measure your progress
In order to be successful, it is very important to have the right mindset. What really separates the successful from the failures is that they are always ready to accept a challenge, whether it is in the personal or professional life. Not only that, but they are also ready to accept risks since their thinking is that failure only makes them stronger. Successful people also know that it is not easy to be successful and that they need to work hard and be ready to face challenges and difficult situations without drawing back.
The ideas presented above help us to keep going when things get tough, those actions are also versatile enough to be applied to situations one faces in everyday life. Life is tough, life is difficult but do not fear those difficulties, always keep in mind the success you would attain if you continued moving in the direction you have set and you will come out SUCCESSFUL.
Remember – “ What’s done is done. What’s gone is gone. One of life’s lessons is always moving on. It’s okay to look back to see how far you’ve come but keep moving forward. ” – Roy T. Bennett